Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Snobs

How old do I look? Do I look my age?

My mom always tells me I should appreciate that people think I'm younger than I am...but today I DIDN'T!

I went to the Oconee County Sub training. I need to have this as a back up for when my nannying job ends.

I turn my paperwork in and head to the classroom. There are about 10-15 people in the room and there is a teacher in there. She looked like she was in her late 50's early 60's. (She later told us she was a retired principal) I find a seat and start getting settled in. The teacher then makes an announcement to sign up for our fingerprinting and if you're certified to sign up between 10 and 12. So I head to the front of the classroom and start to sign my name. Then in a HORRIBLY RUDE voice I hear the teacher say "Are YOU certified??" I look up and see she is talking to me. I respond with "Yes Mam." She then asks again..."Are you REALLY certified??" I add, "Yes mam. I am." I'm trying to be very nice but her rudeness is making it very hard to respond with respect.

I start to return to my seat and she asks me again. I then pull out my certificate and show it to her...she then responds with "Well, I guess you are." I sit down and breathe big in and out four or five times.

So the class begins...and within 10 minutes I start to become very frustrated because she is going over basic rules of subbing...and I'm not trying to be rude but I've babysat since I was 10 and have had 4 semesters of student teaching, ending with a full-time internship in a classroom. But the good Lord was looking out for me, she releases the "certified" people about 2 minutes after I begin to become frustrated.

She tells us to change the time to an hour earlier on the fingerprint sign up sheet. So again I head to the front to change my name and this lady CALLS me out AGAIN. At this point I am MAD. She asks again, "Umm...are you certified?" I again answer with, "Yes mam, I am. I graduated in December and I am certified to teach in Georgia."

Do I not look like I'm not smart enough? Do I look as though I should still be in school? Do I not look like a teacher?

Oconee County is filled with SNOBS. No other word for them. I've never met so many RUDE people from one area. I'm from a VERY prominent part of Georgia and we don't' act like that! (Or at least the people I surround myself with.)

I will try my VERY hardest not to have to apply to Oconee County again...Clarke County here I come.

2 comments:

  1. Don't feel bad, I get asked if I'm still in high school/what am I going to study in college all the time haha.. I don't think we look that young!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha LAH, I know exactly what faces you were making through the entire story. I would not have been that nice...you shoulda busted out the Peachtree City Thug I know you have in you. The mean lady sounded like she was probably just senile, and didn't want to admit it. I'm sorry that happened to you!

    ReplyDelete