Tuesday, October 2, 2012

What's in a name?

Last week I had a sweet friend ask me about my Marmee's name. She wanted to know how/why she was called Marmee and Gigi.

I had the chance to tell her the story of my Marmee's name and she encouraged me to share it. :)

When I was little my grandmother was very much part of my life. My mom went through a divorce when I was just a few months old. My grandmother stepped in and helped my mom a lot. Those were precious years because I was raised by two great women. 

I started to call my grandmother Mommy too and they had to correct me. So I started to call my grandmother Mamma. So I had Mommie and Mamma. I spent a lot of wonderful time with my Mamma.

Well when I was about 9 years old my Mamma didn't like her name anymore. She said it sounded too much like a mammogram. My mom had recently read "Little Women" to me and the mom in the book goes by Marmee. I suggested Marmee to my Mamma and she loved it. 

So, her new name was Marmee. :)

Well fast forward until January of this year...we were at one of my wonderful baby showers. One of my mom's best friends asked my Marmee what she was going to be called for Tucker. We all just kind of stopped because we hadn't thought of her having another name. My mom's friend went on to say that she should have a different name for Tucker to call her since she is his great-grandmother. We all thought that was really special and then she went on to suggest GiGi. GG for great grandmother but write it out like GiGi. Marmee loved it and agreed that Tucker would call her GiGi. 

I'm so blessed that my Marmee was able to meet, hold and love on my sweet son. Tucker will always love his Gigi and I will always love my Marmee!




No comments:

Post a Comment